Sculptures

St. John the Baptist

The original by Josef Max from 1857

Enlarge Image

The saint is shown as a preacher with a golden cross and a font from a shell on his side. The statue of the Baptism of the Lord by Jan Brokoff from 1706 used to stand in the place of today’s statue.

The bronze-cast plate signifying the place, where St. John of Nepomuk was reputedly thrown down into the Vltava river, is embedded in the banisters between the St. John the Baptist’s statue and the next statue. This event happened on March 30, 1393 at the King Wenceslas IV.’s bidding, because the saint, who was as a General Vicar of the Prague Archbishopric the confessor of his wife, Queen Sophia, refused to tell him her confessional secrets.