Sculptures

St. Cyril and St. Method

The original by Karel Dvořák from 1928–1938

Enlarge Image

The statue represents the brothers originating from Thessalonica, the Apostles of the Slavs, who came to Moravia in 9th century to preach the gospel about the Christ; they baptize the pagan Czechs and Slovaks. The statue stands in the place of the former statuary of St. Ignacio of Loyola by Ferdinand Max Brokoff from 1711, which has been deposited in Prague Lapidary since 1913.