Sculptures

Statuary of St. Cross – Calvary

Heterogeneous group of sculptures both by origin and by composition

Enlarge Image

The vermeil Christ corpus was bought in 1657 in Dresden and placed on a wooden cross in 1659. The bronze Hebrew inscription (holy, holy, holy God) came in 1696 from the fine of a Jew, who jibed at the cross. The cartouches on the cross pedestal contain trilingual inscription about this incident – the work of an anonymous sculptor marked GH comes from 1707. The sandstone statues of Virgin Mary and John Evangelist were carved by Emanuel Max in 1861.