Sculptures

St. Christopher

The original by Emanuel Max from 1857

Enlarge Image

The statue represents the saint, the pilgrims’ patron carrying little Christ on his shoulders. According to a legend St. Christopher was a huge pagan who accepted Christian religion and who carried pilgrims across the river as expiation. The statue is situated in the place where a guardhouse for the Bridge with a guardian maintaining law and order used to stand before.