Sculptures

Pieta

The original by Emanuel Max from 1859

Enlarge Image

The group represents the Virgin Mary and St. Magdalene bemoaning the dead Christ, above whom stands St. John the EvangeliSt. The empty cross overhangs the group. In the 15th century there used to stand a Column of the Crucifixion, which was destroyed by floodwater in 1496, cousing the column to crash down. In 1695 the statue of Pieta carved by Jan Brokoff was built in the place of the former Column of the Crucifixion.